Thursday, May 22, 2014

NY'S Thrilla In Manilla Rapper St. Laz



NYC's Thrilla In Manilla Rapper St. Laz

NYC's Thrilla In Manilla Rapper St. Laz is that hip hop rapper that is trying to take Brownsville Brooklyn mainstream. See New York City has a ton of musically involved people and one of the most in depth hip hop cultures in the world. With multiple Burroughs that have different styles of music and fashion to artists that differ in style and delivery. For instance Harlem artists have been notoriously known to be flashy and always up to date on what's hot in the fashion world. While Brooklyn is notorious for creative punchlines and a gritty exterior and flow. St. Laz being from Brooklyn is nothing short of amazing with ear catching punchlines, a go hard or go home work ethic, and most of all a Kingpin mentality that has motivated him to expand his brand.

The Brownsville native has been making music for years and has now turned his sights on his new TV show Pottersfield TV. He has created a platform for indie and underground artists other then himself to be seen and heard on public access TV in multiple cities such as Atlanta, Manhatten, Newark just to name a few guys. He showcases music videos that underground and indie artists put together that showcase their lyrical word play, amazing delivery, and ability to create a visual for spectators who enjoy their music or who have never heard of them before. You can view an episode of Pottersfield TV show by clicking on the video  below.



St. Laz's Music Collection 

St. Laz's Music Collection if filled with over 400 songs but this business minded rapper doesn't just make music to make it. He is strategic in his game plan and his goal is to get young men out of the gangsta lifestyle that caused him to do a 6 year bid in prison and lose a lot of childhood friends. His songs have some of the most versatile concepts that an artist can create guys. From gangsta music to heartfelt wisdom filled tracks he has managed to diversify his own music without any label or manager pushing him to.



With a heart for the hungry underground artist St. Laz has literally taken it upon himself to help others get in a position to get discovered. Oh! so you haven't heard any St. Laz music? No problem check out the videos provided below so that you can get a feel for the type of artist that he is. You like what you hear huh? Well you can hear much more from St. Laz by looking him up on YouTube guys.

St. Laz Interview

Now let's get to the good stuff the moment that you guys have all been waiting for. If you follow St. Laz on social media or you are a fan of real hip hop checkout my epic interview with him last night down below:

1. What Makes you different from the other New York rappers that are grinding just as hard as you are?

The biggest difference is I'm helping other indie artists while other rap cats are just focused on themselves and their career. Besides I make more music filled with substance, I rap about real life situations, I rap from the perspective of other people. I speak for a certain demographic of people that have lived the struggle, lived in the ghetto, and didn't make it out of their circumstances. I rap for the guys in prison who don't have a voice I rap for those people man. I rap to show people that hip hop is not based on a gimmick it's based on growth and unity.

I'm mature enough to separate the fake stuff in rap from actual reality. I might rap about shooting up the block, but I'm not trying to shoot up the block. I have kids and a family now, I'm focused on sharing my poetry and building up things for others. I don't know to many dudes in the rap game that actually do the gangsta stuff they rap about. That's corny to me real street dudes don't talk about what they do. A grown man wouldn't be moved by that street life anymore because that street life took away my friends, and created a chaotic and dangerous environment for me and my people.

I put out the gangsta rap to trap or lure the youth into hearing my deep shi* to help get them off the streets and out of that gangsta lifestyle. So they won't end up dead or in jail, I'm trying to show them that there is a better life outside of the ghetto. I realized that there is more to life then the hood and all of this gun play.  But there are also the same struggles with places like Paterson, and Newark and Camden in Jersey they hoods are crazy man.


2. When people in your burrough here the name St. Laz What's the first thing they say in your opinion?

I wold have so say that that kid is nice and he go hard because everything that I have put on major airwaves was quality. From Hot97 to MTV and other major outlets I made sure that my music was good quality.





3. When you originally thought of the concept of Pottersfield TV was it to promote other up and coming artists?

Umm.. we had this idea for years and at first my group and I Pottersfield wanted to play our music only and the people we affiliated with. But then I realized that I knew so many artists doing quality music that I decided to put them on to. I just started to find artists that was starving with good music and good videos. So that we can show the world that there is talent outside the mainstream music world. 

My show Pottersfield TV is on public access TV where my people can exercise their right of freedom of speech. I want to make a mockery of the game and the people in the game that said there is no more talent in the streets. Right now the show is in 7 different spots right now and growing. I can put guns, and cursing and uncensored hip hop on TV. Sometimes censorship is garbage so most artists have to make safe chick or club joints now. Even to be on MTV they have to do this now I think it's corny. I'm trying to show the world that underground hip hop is where it's at.

I'm trying to create a whole other industry or league for underground emcees man. So that people can see these up and coming artists females and males. I'm looking for videos, I'm looking for the hottest artists with the hottest videos out right now. I remember back in the day great artists were easily discovered and looked for if they had a strong following, but now artists are not even being looked for. It's like nobody is looking for artists because hip hop is a billion dollar industry, nobody wants to put anyone on anymore. I don't do this for the praise I'm doing this to make hip hop fyah!

4.Where do you see yourself in the next year career wise?

I just see my self as a household name in New York City and the tri- state area. I would love to say the nation but if I can get New York then I can expand from there. I want everyone to be familiar with me and Pottersfield tv.


5. Are you interested in taking your music mainstream and signing a record deal with a label?

If I was to ever sign a record deal with a label it would have to be at a label with somebody that is apart of my movement with someone that is a hip hopologist. I need someone to understand the type of artist that I am and promote my album and my music to the fullest extent.

I live in the projects so I won't turn down that money but I will take that cake and flip that money and push my movement. See when you been down as long as I have been it's not selling out I can never sell out.

6. What were your thoughts on the whole Kendrick Lamar "I'm the King Of New York" comment in his control freestyle?

But umm overall I know that he wanted to just rile people up. I just felt like he was saying I'm the only dude with an east-coast style that is actually relevant in the game right now. I wasn't really feeling that verse or the song. I felt the song was trash I mean mediocre. 

That "Control" joint wasn't hot to me it didn't impress me at all man. I mean but hey he got that promotion and became even bigger after that. You can't buy that type of promotion man. I mean nothing personal but I mean it was disrespectful because son didn't have no bars man. I didn't take it personal though. Name dropping isn't killing it that's "name dropping" man.



7. Do you agree with the rapper Maino when he said "I'm tired of cats coming to NY and disrespecting our city and our culture and we just let them get away with it, it's time to put a stop to all of that and show them that they can't come up here like that no more" and if so why?
New York is the birthplace we're the the holy city the Mecca of hip hop, don't bite the hand that fed the world. Don't come here with nothing but love. 

8.What up and coming live performances do you have this year so that fans can come and check you out?

You know the summer is around the corner man but I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I have a lot of rap beef to so I don't really promote it because I don't want that type of drama following me anywhere. If I do something like that I just show up because I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Man I'm the type of dude to punch somebody in the face to so I just try to chill out man. I've stirred up a lot of stuff with diss records on dj's and other artists so man I don't promote no shows man. If I do a show I just do a show and who ever saw me they just saw me.


St. Laz is much more then meets the eye guys, and with his mind, heart, body and soul focused on being heard and having others heard he is truly amazing. He is humble and at a point in his life where he is able to admit to his past wrongs and man enough to move forward in life. He is truly one of the realest hip hop rap artists that I have had the pleasure to meet and speak with.

If you want to follow him or connect with him look him up on twitter at https://twitter.com/StLaz .

















Make sure to Follow me on twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/TheRealVMoolah
and subscribe to my blog as well guys.
I make sure I give you what you want to know and deserve to know!





No comments:

Post a Comment